Empires of the Undergrowth
Empires of the Undergrowth is a real time strategy game that takes place in the world of ants. It features underground tunnelling, nest construction and fast-paced battles with insects, arachnids and other ant colonies. For much of the game we have drawn heavy inspiration from the well-loved nineties classics Dungeon Keeper and Sim Ant, while the colony versus colony aspect of the game has been particularly inspired by Starcraft 2’s popular ‘Desert Strike’ arcade game.
The game’s theme is taken directly from nature and offers a fresh alternative to the usual sci-fi, fantasy and historical settings for this genre. In the single-player campaign, the player takes control of Formica ereptor: a unique colony of DNA-assimilating, nomadic ants embarking on a great journey. They must set up temporary nests, gather food and defeat neighbouring colonies. Their epic story is narrated from the perspective of a documentary filmmaker studying this species of ant.
- Carve out and construct your underground nest to suit your strategy.
- Engage in fast-paced colony versus colony combat above ground.
- Absorb new species into your colony, then enhance them with upgrades and combat boosts.
- Encounter and overpower awesome Titans of the Undergrowth.
- Epic campaign story told from the perspective of a documentary team and inspired by real world challenges